DID You Know that...
It was in 1519 that the Roman Catholic Feast of Corpus Christi marked the discovery of a lush semi tropical bay by Spanish explorer Alonzo Alvarez de Pineda. This bay was therefore named Corpus Christi. It is now the largest city in Texas. Find out these and more interesting facts about Corpus Christi right here.
Image Courtesy Tom Dudones at Panoramio.com
Historical Fast Facts about Corpus Christi
- Spanish explorer Alvarez de Pineda discovered Corpus Christi in 1519. In Latin means the Body of Christ.
- It is now the sixth biggest port in the US and the largest city in coastal Texas and key industries here include tourism, retail and healthcare.
- This city remained an obscure settlement till July in the year 1845 when the war with Mexico commenced
- This city was incorporated on September 9th,1852 and its first city council and mayor Benjamin F.Neal has served from 1852 to 1855
- The city charter was adopted in the 1870s and its first ordinance was adopted in January 15th,1879
- Corpus Christi is a city with home rule government and the city manager functions as CEO
- In 1983, single member districts were adopted by the city enabling voters to elect district reps for the city council.
Demography and Geography Fast Facts in Corpus Christi
- City of Corpus Christi provides numerous facilities and amenities including marina, heath parks and recreation
- Water department oversees more than 1600 miles of water transmission/distribution and the city is progressive in infrastructure and planning for future resources
- Corpus Christi has a regional partnership with Nueces River Authority and Port of Corpus Christi authority
- The city provides emphasis on infrastructure and basic services as well as recreation and cultural amenities.
- The city’s fiscal commences in August 1 and ends on July 31 and budget comprises 6 major funds
- City’s medical emergency services are ranked topmost in the state
- City of Corpus Christi is the seat of Nueces County lying on Corpus Christi Bay, an inlet of the Gulf of Mexico in the most southern part of the state.
- Corpus Christi is also a manufacturing and commercial center and seaport for coastal and international shipping
- Tourism is an important sector given the city’s warm climate, sandy beaches and deep sea fishing
- City was founded in the 1830s as a trading post and commenced with growth as a port in the 1920s
- According to the US Census Bureau,Corpus Christi has a total area of 460.20 square miles of which 154.6 square miles is land while water covers 305.6 square miles
- The city has two main reservoirs, Lake Corpus Christi, Choke Canyon Reservoir and Lake Texana
Economy and Governance Fast Facts in Corpus Christi
- The unemployment rate in this city is 4.20% as against a US average of 6.30%
- Corpus Christi recently experienced positive job growth and increased jobs by as much as 2.81 percent
- Corpus Christi has a cost of living is 15.60% which is lower than the average in US
- In 2014, according to the US Census, population totals 305,427 persons.
- Top companies in Corpus Christi include the Port of Corpus Christi, Texas A&M University Kingsville and more
- City council is the legislative body comprising the mayor, one member from the 5 districts and three members at large
- Citizens elect each of the members to a two year term and around 5 members constitute a quorum needed to conduct city operations
- Corpus Christi also has a Council Manager form of local government
Fun Filled and Interesting Facts About Corpus Christi
- Actress Eva Longoria was originally from Corpus Christi and used to work at the local Wendy’s here
- Corpus Christi was the first major city in the nation to offer free Wi-Fi.
The most popular Texas burger chain, Whataburger started its first location in Corpus Christi in 1950
- Singer and songwriter Selena Quintanilla Perez is from Corpus Christi and there is a museum dedicated to her in the city
- Close to 5 million people visit Corpus Christi each year whereby 74% hail from Texas
- Author Fred Gibson famous for the novel Old Yellar worked in the late 1930s as a journalist for Corpus Christi Caller Times
- Portion of the 2001 movie Pearl Harbor was filmed on the Blue Ghost the USS Lexington
- Another popular actress who hailed from Corpus Christi was Farah Fawcett and late US President George Bush Senior received his wings at the Naval Air station Corpus Christi